Monday, February 17, 2014

Jan 28, 2014, when we made history


January 28, 2014
0900 hours
We pack the van. Sam scrapes off the ice from the windshield. It's snowing a little bit, flurries really, but we were so excited.

1100 hours
We are at the parking lot at Lowe's loading up some supplies into the van. It's snowing harder now and someone mentioned it would snow for the next 8 hours.


1300 hours
We made it safely to our house. The roads is covered in snow now and it hasn't stopped.
We unload the van. Well, Sam unloads the van, I was busy taking pictures. All of a sudden the snow starts to fall heavily. I love it. It's beautiful but I want to enjoy the snow from the safety of the cabin where we stay not on the roads. I tell Sam we had to go. We leave

Sometime between 1300 and 1400 hours
We come out of the residential community. There's a downhill spot that drops on US64, there's also a stop sign. Sam hits the brakes, nothing, he does it again, nothing. The van starts to slide onto the state road. He tries to throw the van on the shoulder to the right. Nothing. We slide onto oncoming traffic. One driver manages to go by just fast enough to make past our van. Everything is in slow motion. The second driver traveling on 64 almost makes past behind us. He hit our taillight and rips our bumper off. No one is hurt. BamBam is shaking she's so cold, I am happy as a clam as it's snowing really hard. A firefighter offers to get BamBam warmed up. First snow related fender bender.


1500 hour
We make back to Wagonmaster Ranch where we stay. BamBam is not sure how she feels about the snow covered ground.



 She gets over it very quickly and starts to walk and sniff the 'white cold thing that falls from the sky'

 1700 hour
I decide to go to the van to get my blood pressure cuff. No one ever told me that the doors freeze in place. As I grabbed the handle to open the passenger door it didn't budge. I fell on my butt and my legs slid under the van. HA! First snow related tumble. It was awesome.


Jan 29, 2014
We are snowed in.


No comments: